What is Upgrade Holyrood?
Upgrade Holyrood is a political blog and resource dedicated to improving Scotland’s representative politics and delivering relevant political analysis and commentary. Scottish politics needs an upgrade and Upgrade Holyrood aims to provide a space to help facilitate that.
Guided by the principle that our politics can and must be better, Upgrade Holyrood supports:
- Accountable representation: a return to four-year parliamentary terms, as well as a recall rule for lawbreaking and absent MSPs
- Fair representation: an end to dual mandates in Scottish politics and restrictions on second jobs for politicians
- Inclusive representation: a permanent hybrid parliament
- Local representation: more powers for local communities across Scotland
- Proportional representation a fairer voting system to elect MSPs
This site provides analysis, opinion and research on solutions to improve our democracy as well as the space to provide discussion on change. Additional commentary on Scottish politics more generally will be covered.
Who runs Upgrade Holyrood?
Upgrade Holyrood is run by me, Richard Wood, a Scot from Edinburgh now working in Westminster. I am a passionate advocate of Proportional Representation and wider electoral reforms with experience as an activist with campaign organisation Make Votes Matter. I currently work for an MP and have a background in communications, media, politics and research.